The basic wood handrail is extremely common due to its simplicity of assembly. This handrail requires 4x4s, 2×4, 2×2 and 2×6 for top rail.
1) Install the posts. Use 4×4 posts that are fastened to withstand someone falling against it. Check posts to make sure they are plumb.
2) Measure the opening from post to post.
3) Cut two 2x4s to fit the opening.
4) Find the center of these 2x4s. Make a mark ¾” to one side of center. Start a 4” layout from this mark.
5) Cut your 2x2s to the proper length. Start nailing in the center making sure to cover up the center mark.
6) Attach the 2x4s to the posts with screws.
7) Cut the 2×6 to go over the top and fasten it with screws.
Make sure to be safe when using power tools! Leave a comment about your project! If you’re looking for something unique, check out rustic mountain handrails